Gold Club Asia Forums

Go Back   Gold Club Asia Forums > Gold Club Asia > Precious Metals - Gold & Silver

Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 AM

Default Numismatic vs Coin vs Bullions

How do we actually differentiate these 3 types? The only basic I'm aware is Coins have "Face Value" whereas Bullions don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Available

24Hr Hotline 9477-7774
Old 01-06-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlok View Post
How do we actually differentiate these 3 types? The only basic I'm aware is Coins have "Face Value" whereas Bullions don't.
I think you are trying to compare Numis vs Coins vs Rounds

Short answer
Numis - limited mintage coin or medallion
Coins - With face value
Rounds - No face value, from private mint
Old 01-06-2012, 03:36 PM

Hi Crazy guru, Or anyone who knows..

Can you provide a long answer instead? I'm very intrigued. As I also have heard of "semi-numismatic" etc... so it's getting confusing especially recently.

Also, how do we classify private mint? does sunshine mint qualify? or singapore mint in the eyes of a foreigner? or private mint mean those small little shop with the ability to produce silver bar with their own name or brand?

Thanks in advance for helping clear this up.

chef
- lunar bullion, 2oz, 5oz, 10oz, kilo, color, gilded, proof * canadian wild life * legend of dragon * water series taku, aligator, swordfish * pamp gold bar snake and true happiness * 1oz bar and 5 oz bar and 10 oz bar.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlok View Post
bullion is for the gold and silver content, usually they are not proof coins/medal.

proof coins are usually for collectors and limited mintage numbers.

some proof are medals or coins can be numismatic.

eg
ASE the BU are bullion coins

ASE Proof are numismatic with mintage limit.

but legally the ASE BU coins are numismatic coins.
(here the numismatic meaning; not for circulation buy/sell and trade as currency)

just show the coin to see got re-sale value or not
Old 01-06-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alor View Post
bullion is for the gold and silver content, usually they are not proof coins/medal.

proof coins are usually for collectors and limited mintage numbers.

some proof are medals or coins can be numismatic.

eg
ASE the BU are bullion coins

ASE Proof are numismatic with mintage limit.

but legally the ASE BU coins are numismatic coins.
(here the numismatic meaning; not for circulation buy/sell and trade as currency)

just show the coin to see got re-sale value or not
Numismatic : SICF medals with No Face Value & the Maple Leaf "Titanic" Privy Coin with Face Value (I posted on Lim's thread in the Numismatic Forum), are considered numismatic cos Mintage only 2500 & are Proof/Reverse Proof? What about Low Mintage but not Proof? Or Proof but High mintage?

Coins : 2012 1oz panda & ASE? Cos High mintage & with Face Value?

Bullion : Singapore Mint Dragon Medal with No Face Value? But Mintage is low leh...

What about Kooks? Coins or Bullions? Alot of people call them Bullions but they have Face Value. Shouldn't Kooks be considered coins then?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Available

24Hr Hotline 9477-7774

Last edited by anlok; 01-06-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:35 PM

coin: silver or gold articles (any shape) bearing a government monetary face value

round: silver or gold circular shaped article bearing no face value. a medallion can also be classified as a round.

bar: silver or gold rectangular shaped article bearing no face value

numismatic: silver or gold article (any shape) that possesses a collector value thus the name numismatic (coin collection). strictly speaking, it involves only coins, however, rounds, medallions, bars can also have collectors value and thus can also be grouped here.

semi-numismatic: i am guilty of using this, which i picked up from a fellow collector here. these are silver or gold articles (any shape) that are being sold above bullion value (not excessively above) and have the potential to become a numismatic item in the future.

bullion: silver or gold article (any shape) of any form where its value is based solely on its metal value.

my 2 grams worth.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Mintage as numismatic factor?
If the mint put the cap at 80,000,000; still qualify as numi?

If unlimited but somehow mint did not complete the mintage, only managed to produce says 3,500 and production ceased, can qualify as numi?

In the watch industry, a real limited edition should not be more than 50 or so. Limit of 1,000 can still command premiums. But setting limit of 1,000,000 on any particular watch model for the entire lifetime production (let alone 1,000,000 per model per year) immediately turn it into a normal regular production model; not limited edition.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswadq View Post

numismatic: silver or gold article (any shape) that possesses a collector value thus the name numismatic (coin collection). strictly speaking, it involves only coins, however, rounds, medallions, bars can also have collectors value and thus can also be grouped here.

s:
ahhhhhh. . . . . . . . . "worth collecting"!! That's more like it.
Many factors make something worth collecting.
Of course, almost 100% of time as long as something is rare, its worth collecting. So "mintage" comes into play.

If 100,000,000 were made of a particular coin, I am sure its not numi since 100m is too many to be "worth collecting". But if the same coin due to certain reason all except 50 were melted down, I am sure the remaining 50 is "worth collecting" and therefore qualify as numi right?.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 PM

Hi guys,

Please allow me to share that the premise / title of this thread is in itself confusing.
You see, numismatic just means that an item has "collector's value".

Once you understand this, you understand that various types of precious metals can have numismatic value.
Coin = round from a goverment mint with face value (ASE, Canadian Maple)
Round = any round from any mint which has no face value (scottsdale Omnia, buffalo, first majestic etc etc)

BOTH can have numismatic value and there a different factors as to how much and how quickly the numismatic value can rise.

An ungraded ASE from 1994 might not have much or zero numismatic value but if it is an MS70 then all of a sudden it has numismatic value.

Converesly you can have a rare graded coin with low mintage but if nobody cares about the coin it is not going to have numismatic value.

WTS: 1 Oz 2011 Rabbit & 1 Oz 2012 Gilded Dragon
Old 01-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieRocks View Post
Converesly you can have a rare graded coin with low mintage but if nobody cares about the coin it is not going to have numismatic value.
Like.

Finding a modern coin that will have numismatic value is llike finding the next Picasso.