Gold Club Asia Forums

Go Back   Gold Club Asia Forums > Gold Club Asia > Precious Metals - Gold & Silver

Old 13-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingcap View Post
I knew that there is a Lunar series started by Sg mint but along the way the minting stopped. So, if this stock horse stopped at 1 or 2 or 3, what value is there to buy a 1 oz silver at spot of about 20usd at about 100sgd now? Will you not become a plate of Char Kway Teow?
Well you need to think of its potential as well if the second or third horse has a magnificent design then the first coin in the series will command a hefty premium.

Also what if the mint decided to increase the mintage for the second coin? Say from 10,000 to 100,000?

I am not speculating the potential of this series... For me I just keep and wait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13-07-2013, 07:30 PM

The fact that next year is Year of the Horse is probably enough double the value of the coin when CNY rolls around
Old 13-07-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoga2k View Post
The fact that next year is Year of the Horse is probably enough double the value of the coin when CNY rolls around
By then, market will be flooded by horses. All mints rushing to come up with lunar series. So I don't think this is a contributing factor, if this series is going to be good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Available

24Hr Hotline 9477-7774
Old 13-07-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlok View Post
But most are in the red, isn't it?
A quick check from ebay, asking around US$50-60 for the dragon. Peak silver spot was around US$36/oz during the period when the dragon was available, so I think it is holding its value quite well. Note that this is only a bullion coin with 300,000 mintage, so not exactly an apple to apple comparison with the stock horse. Anyway, my point is that the relative demand for the dragon and horse should be higher than a kook.
Old 13-07-2013, 07:43 PM

I'm looking at overall dragons. All the releases from PM like 3 headed, etc. So many ang mo dragons & most now below launch price.

But of couse I agree kooks are no where near these 2 series.

Available

24Hr Hotline 9477-7774

Last edited by anlok; 13-07-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 13-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika View Post
A quick check from ebay, asking around US$50-60 for the dragon. Peak silver spot was around US$36/oz during the period when the dragon was available, so I think it is holding its value quite well. Note that this is only a bullion coin with 300,000 mintage, so not exactly an apple to apple comparison with the stock horse. Anyway, my point is that the relative demand for the dragon and horse should be higher than a kook.
Wow... this is a new info for me, a newbie. then why buy a kook that cost more than $90 which was minted 23 years ago?! Goodness!
Old 13-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at overall dragons. All the releases from PM like 3 headed, etc. So many ang mo dragons & most now below launch price.
Are these numi dragons intended as one off single collectable coins, or are they part of a series of a collection like the stock horse? If they are, then it is quite a fair comparison.
Old 13-07-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika View Post
Are these numi dragons intended as one off single collectable coins, or are they part of a series of a collection like the stock horse? If they are, then it is quite a fair comparison.
Then again, kooks is also a series. Aren't they? I learnt through the hard way low mintage doesn't guarantee potential. Look at the success of panda. Look at how Brits fare. I'm a fan of Brits but frankly, potential don't think it's there.

If I like the horse, I'll just buy it since I'm a well known premium-paying guy. But I won't buy just because I'm speculating it's going to be successful.

Anyway, both of us might be right and wrong. Personal preference & mentality I would think.

Available

24Hr Hotline 9477-7774

Last edited by anlok; 13-07-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 13-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
By then, market will be flooded by horses. All mints rushing to come up with lunar series. So I don't think this is a contributing factor, if this series is going to be good.
But this isn't a lunar series, and one of the few horse-themed coins. I don't think it's a coincidence they chose to release it 6 months before CNY. Probably to build up hype. When all the lunar horses comes out, this one will be leading the pack in terms of pricing. When the second one comes out, the first will attain the status of Rwandan Gorilla

Also, it's a pretty awesome looking coin.
Old 13-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Then again, kooks is also a series. Aren't they? I learnt through the hard way low mintage doesn't guarantee potential. Look at the success of panda. Look at how Brits fare. I'm a fan of Brits but frankly, potential don't think it's there.

If I like the horse, I'll just buy it since I'm a well known premium-paying guy. But I won't buy just because I'm speculating it's going to be successful.

Anyway, both of us might be right and wrong. Personal preference & mentality I would think.
Just to add another perspective I have is that the dragon and horse both have deep cultural symbolism in both the West and East, so they would do well IMO. How well received the stock horse series will be can only be known through the test of time. I certainly agree that low mintage does not always mean high demand, and highly respect how you make your buying decision.