Gold Club Asia Forums

Go Back   Gold Club Asia Forums > Gold Club Asia > Polls and Surveys

View Poll Results: Do you stock up on necessities?
No. I think we have sufficient supplies locally. You are overly paranoid. 9 40.91%
Yes. About 1 month. 10 45.45%
Yes. More than 3 months. 3 13.64%
No. There is no need to. I own a FARM! 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2011, 08:09 PM

Am glad to know there are people in SG who are concerned about this topic as well. Most of the people I know do not see the need to stock up on food. Some even laugh at me for being a paranoid. But anyway I still stock up(1 month) as I can imagine the situation to be real bad if any food shortage were to occur. there is just too many people cramped into this small island. However, unless we live in farms or self sustainable environments, no amount of food "stocked up" is gonna help

Anyways I keep a mixture of Datrex, canned sardines, canned meats,combat rations, rice, flour, salt, sugar etc. For water I do not actually store them now, but I have waterbobs ready to be deployed when theres the need.. I also have 2 x 100s pack of tealights (from Ikea, really low cost) as a backup in case of power loss. I remember that when I was young "black-outs" still occured in Singapore. So this (electricity) is also something which we should not take for granted

Last edited by mjay; 07-09-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-09-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjay View Post
Am glad to know there are people in SG who are concerned about this topic as well. Most of the people I know do not see the need to stock up on food. Some even laugh at me for being a paranoid. But anyway I still stock up(1 month) as I can imagine the situation to be real bad if any food shortage were to occur. there is just too many people cramped into this small island. However, unless we live in farms or self sustainable environments, no amount of food "stocked up" is gonna help

Anyways I keep a mixture of Datrex, canned sardines, canned meats,combat rations, rice, flour, salt, sugar etc. For water I do not actually store them now, but I have waterbobs ready to be deployed when theres the need.. I also have 2 x 100s pack of tealights (from Ikea, really low cost) as a backup in case of power loss. I remember that when I was young "black-outs" still occured in Singapore. So this (electricity) is also something which we should not take for granted
what are waterbobs?
how do members here stock up water for contingency purposes?
ive been thinking abt this for some time but yet to find a solution that works.
please share your thoughts.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswadq View Post
what are waterbobs?
Water Bob: http://www.waterbob.com/Welcome.do;j...A699E4B643712B

I do not have Water Bob but do have solid plastic bags (reasonablely leak proof) that can hold water - again - to be "deployed" when needed.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Datrex --- MJAY --- dude you are "hard core"!
I went the "mountain house" route.

I also have the same tealights as yourself, extra batteries, 2x small solar kits, ..... the list can be pretty endless and one does need to draw a line and balance "event of it happening" vs "apartment space and sanity".

I was on 6 months at one stage - and now I am down to 3 weeks or so - and reclaimed back a bedroom.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmax View Post
Datrex --- MJAY --- dude you are "hard core"!
I went the "mountain house" route.

I also have the same tealights as yourself, extra batteries, 2x small solar kits, ..... the list can be pretty endless and one does need to draw a line and balance "event of it happening" vs "apartment space and sanity".

I was on 6 months at one stage - and now I am down to 3 weeks or so - and reclaimed back a bedroom.
NOT at all.. you are the hardcore one man.. 6 months.. and mountain house is like having buffet as compared to datrex. anyway I chose datrex due to its cost. each pack is only 4.2 before GST and can be bought readily from marine supplies companies in SG. actually I have fire starting kits, paracord , knives and other "survival" stuff. those are probably overkill but i still have them, partly also because i enjoy buying these stuffs. I like extra sense of security which i can get having my survival equipment and food around, just like how we feel better holding on to physical PM.

BY THE WAY, is there any place in sg which sells mountain house? or did you import them? have been wanting to try them out but the only way seems to be importing them at a high cost..
Old 07-09-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswadq View Post
what are waterbobs?
there is also the aquapodkit (http://www.aquapodkit.com/), which is basically the same as waterbobs.

for small quantities of water, you can also turn to local marine supplies companies. they have survival water supplies which are basically water packaged in small packets ( something like mamee size) that are supposed to be packed onto life rafts.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
there is also the aquapodkit (http://www.aquapodkit.com/), which is basically the same as waterbobs.

for small quantities of water, you can also turn to local marine supplies companies. they have survival water supplies which are basically water packaged in small packets ( something like mamee size) that are supposed to be packed onto life rafts.
Could ya advise the source / shop for the above supplies ?

Cheers
Old 08-09-2011, 01:05 AM

I imported this via vpost.

http://www.directive21.com/berkey-light.html

For water collection (rain)... you really need to be innovative and it pretty much depends on the layout of your home. Other water sources needs to be planned and thought out beforehand.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 AM

Forumers here are well knowledge. Heard about Berkey and Mountain house
before....just havent get into actually purchasing it .
Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Could ya advise the source / shop for the above supplies ?

Cheers
normally for convenience I buy from amazon, then forwarded to me via comgateway. But many times amazon is not the cheapest place to shop, so if you are interested to get something specific, maybe you can ask here in the forum and people can give their recommendations

for datrex or emergency raft water supplies (small packets), you can get them locally very affordably:

NOAH AGENCIES 'N' MARINE SERVICES PTE LTD

MARINE SAFETY DIVISION

Sales/Admin: 20 Tuas Avenue 4, Singapore 639370

Tel: (65) 6266-0788

Fax: (65) 6266-1042

Web-site: www.noah.com.sg

E-mail: sales@noah.com.sg

previously I only bought the datrex from them, not sure about any other practical survival stuff which they may have..

Last edited by mjay; 08-09-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: addition