Gold Club Asia Forums

Go Back   Gold Club Asia Forums > Market Place > Product and Pricing Discussions

Old 11-12-2015, 04:54 PM

Default are western mints coins unable to sustain in price ?

Are western mints coins unable to sustain in price ?

https://firstcoincompany.com/S/-holi...-to-50-?page=8

ATLAS of WILDLIFE Series just out less than 2 years price down 40%.

Many others so call hot coins and price significantly down.

WHY?????
Old 11-12-2015, 05:40 PM

Economics??

Money is like water, market is like tank and price is like water level in the tank.

More money flowing in than flowing out, price will rise. More money flowing out than flowing in, price will drop.

I guess there is less money flowing into these coins than there is flowing out right now.

Will have even less money to go around the economy around after interest rate goes up.

My 2 cents
Old 11-12-2015, 08:14 PM

Easy. Cos they keep pumping out nonsense coins.

Western mints have come out with winners every now and then, but I guess not all coins will be winners.

If you happened to buy US mint latest proof platinum eagle, the next day you can flip for 300 dollars profit. So western mints do have good designs and their coins have good collectibility.
Old 13-12-2015, 10:56 AM

Some newbies think coin is type of investment than hobby.

Many promotion items in first coin are less than 2 years release. Price drop so fast.

Buy wrong item to flip and fail also costly if no holding power。

The 1/4 gold Mickey Mouse and Donald duck is typical example. Lucky I sold it fast and sell it low. Once the mickey is 1500. 1200 also no buyer now especially singapore. Once it is winner and sold out at mints but after hype it fade.

Majoroty dealers in this forum play mission in missing now. So quite.

I seldom sells singapore market many months ago. Too many hassle as compare to foreign market。

Last edited by Andrewlee10; 13-12-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 13-12-2015, 11:07 AM

That's true. I suppose it happens to coins and medals from China as well, where the popularity/hype comes and goes according to time.

Like you said, if you can't sell it locally, can always sell it overseas. From experience, the coin collecting community in Singapore is still rather small compared to more established markets in Europe/North America.
Old 14-12-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima View Post
That's true. I suppose it happens to coins and medals from China as well, where the popularity/hype comes and goes according to time.

Like you said, if you can't sell it locally, can always sell it overseas. From experience, the coin collecting community in Singapore is still rather small compared to more established markets in Europe/North America.
It SELDOM happen to china coins and medals BUT it did. China coins and medals have more resistant level as compare to western modern coins. I am using the Gold corp and official mints medal release price of china coins and medals rather than ebay and others. It is seldom drop below the release price. However, we take example of Perth Mints numics which few dealers in Singapore, Europe and USA sell below PM release price during the first day of release. This is vicious cycle and no price control at all. However, china dealers will not sell those china coin below release price even the sell is not very well. That the diff between china coins medals vs western modern coins.

However, take notes of the risk and return if you buy china coins and medal at much more higher than release price during the first issue of those items. I always try to avoid it and buy at reasonable price.

At once time, china banks build master set of gold panda which lead to many dealers buyback gold panda from the market. This chain effects also create more new collectors and existing collectors to thought gold panda is good bet and buy at the peak. However, after 1 or 2 years the buyback have slow down and even not exist so the price drop significant for certain key date. However, other price quite stable and tag to gold spot. Another price down is the silver pagoda set medal PF69. A group of people in China Coin forum hype it from USD 1K to USD 25K. market value now is USD 2.5 - 3.5 K. Ebay still selling super expansive BUT sit there for donkey year with no buyer.